Following the recent Brexit negations, PS Recruitment have the following information to share regarding EU citizens currently living in the UK.
All EU, EEA or Swiss Citizens living in the UK, need to apply for one of the below:
(The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Irish nationals do not need to apply)
• Settled Status – If you have been in the UK for more than 5 years.
• Pre-Settled Status – If you have been in the UK for less than 5 years.
If you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but your family member is, then you still need to apply.
If we leave the EU on 31/10/2019 with no deal, then free movement will end. So, you need to be prepared and apply for your status now. There is no charge for applying and the processing time for applications is running at 2-3 weeks.
Once approved, your status will be logged online, for which you will be given a code. You will not get a card or a sticker for your passport. Any employer will then require this code in order to perform a status check.
The ways you can apply are:
• There is an App where you can submit your application, however, this is currently only available on Android phones. There is no need to send your passport anywhere. The app is called – EU Exit: ID Document Check (UK Visas and Immigration)
• Apply online from the government website: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status
Your rights with settled or pre-settled status
With a settled or pre – settled status, you will be able to:
• work in the UK
• use the NHS
• enrol in education or continue studying
• access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
• travel in and out of the UK
If you have any questions regarding applying for the settled/pre settled status, then you can call the office on 0161 475 1702 and speak to Helen who will be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction.